What happens to your car after taking it out every day for a week? You might agree with me that it will be dirty and needs a wash. The same thing applies to your jewelry whether you use them every day or occasionally. After using jewelries for some time, their appearance can become dull. When you notice this, it means you need to clean them. Fortunately, using jewelry cleaner machines especially the ultrasonic cleaning machine can be the best way to go.
Follow through as I show you why ultrasonic jewelry cleaners are the perfect machine for cleaning jewelry. Also, this article will provide you the best step-by-step way to clean jewelry using the jewelry cleaner machines.
Why Do You Need To Clean Your Jewelry?
Pieces of jewelry come in contact with hard water deposit, dust, sweat, hand cream, and other dirt anytime you use them. When these elements touch jewelry, it becomes dirtier day after day. This dirt results in debris, stain and tarnish which causes the jewelry to lose their shine, beauty, and original sparkle. Cleaning jewelry will help remove the stains, debris, and tarnish. Also, it will keep it shinning and beautiful for as long as you use it.
Why Should You Clean Your Jewelry With Jewelry Cleaner Machines?
Ultrasonic jewelry cleaner machines are one of the machines known to produce the most effective cleaning methods for jewelry and other range of applications. Also, ultrasonic cleaning is a fast method of cleaning intricate parts or hard substrates. If you are wondering why cleaning jewelry with ultrasonic jewelry cleaner is the best way to go, here are the reasons:
- It cleans inaccessible areas of the jewelry – There is jewelry that has areas that are not easily accessible. This means the areas can be hard to clean when using a manual cleaner or hand washing. But jewelry cleaners such as the ultrasonic cleaning machines are very effective in reaching and cleaning inaccessible and hard-to-reach areas. The ultrasonic energy produces microscopic bubbles that can penetrate hinges, hollows, and the most delicate and smallest part of your jewelry. This makes it possible for the ultrasonic jewelry cleaner to remove stains, contaminants, dirt, and tarnish from wherever they are on your jewelry. The cleaning is not limited to the surface and accessible areas.
- Ultrasonic jewelry cleaners offer a gentle cleaning action – Cleaning jewelry with ultrasonic jewelry cleaner machines does not involve scrubbing that can damage your valuables. The machine clean jewelries without leaving a scratch on them. This means you stand a better chance of maintaining the quality and beauty of your item for a longer time. Additionally, they might not require the use of detergent that might contain harsh chemicals which can be harmful to your valuables. Ultrasonic jewelry cleaners are used with water. However, if soap is required, some safe cleaning liquid detergents can be used and won’t affect the quality of your jewelry.
- It cleans multiple pieces of jewelry thoroughly and quickly – How much jewelry can you clean at a time using hand wash? I guess not more than one because hand washing more than an item at a time cannot give efficient cleaning. But with an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner, you can clean more than two jewelries at a time and still get a more effective and efficient cleaning.
- They are environmentally friendly and save costs – Unlike other methods of washing that can cause noise pollution in your home or environment, the ultrasonic jewelry cleaner machine does not make noise. It operates silently while ensuring your pieces of jewelry are thoroughly washed and clean. Also, cleaning jewelry with jewelry cleaners can save costs because they do not require much energy and water to operate. Ultrasonic jewelry cleaners offer a much greener solution to your jewelry cleaning process compared to all other cleaning methods.
- They do not require multiple washes – In other cleaning jewelry methods, you might need to wash your valuables more than once to ensure a thorough and perfect cleaning. But as for the ultrasonic jewelry cleaners, they produce a thorough wash and cleaning about 99.9% for the first time. Additionally, their ability to remove bacterial makes the jewelry cleaner machines one of the best ways and tools to give your jewelry a perfect wash.
Before we move to the 5 best steps to clean jewelry by using the jewelry cleaner machines, let’s take a look at the ornamental that can’t be washed by the ultrasonic cleaning machines.
Is Ultrasonic Cleaner Perfect For All Jewelries?
Even though the ultrasonic jewelry cleaner is the best machine that can be used to wash and clean jewelry, there are some ornamentals you should avoid using them to wash as they may cause some damages. Remember, there are two sides to a coin, so ultrasonic jewelry cleaners have their limitations too. Before cleaning jewelry with the machine, you should always check to ensure your item is safe if you use the ultrasonic jewelry cleaner to wash and clean it.
So what type of jewelry should not be cleaned in the ultrasonic jewelry cleaners? Avoid washing and cleaning jewelry that include tanzanite, emeralds, opals, cameos, silver or gold inlay, pearls, silver or gold filigree, and turquoise. Also, don’t use an ultrasonic cleaning machine to wash jewelry that contains coral, amber and other soft stones, antique jewelry, and foiled back stones. Additionally, if your item comes with gemstones that are heat treated don’t clean them with ultrasonic cleaners. Furthermore, if you notice cracks on your jewelry or any other form of damage, do not clean them in ultrasonic jewelry cleaners.
Do you know why you should not clean the pieces of jewelry mentioned above in an ultrasonic cleaner? The reasons are:
- Most of them are brittle and can be damaged by the vibrations and heat generated by ultrasonic cleaners
- Many of the jewelry had their color enhanced through heat treatment and other methods, and these make them more susceptible to damage
- Some of them are soft such as pearl and cleaning them with ultrasonic jewelry cleaner machines may dissolve them partly
Take note that organic gems, soft gemstones, heat treated and highly brittle gemstones should not be cleaned in ultrasonic jewelry cleaners. However, if alloys or metals such as platinum, gold, and much more with the exception of tungsten make up your jewelry, you can safely wash and clean them in ultrasonic machines. Also, cleaning jewelry that comes with hard, natural gemstones like rubies in the machines is safe and may not cause any damage.
Now that you know what jewelry not to clean in the ultrasonic jewelry cleaner machines and the ones that are safe to clean, let’s dive into the best step-by-step process of cleaning jewelry.
5 Best Steps to Clean Jewelry Using Jewelry Cleaner Machines
There are different models of ultrasonic cleaners with each having their unique functions and features. But most of them operate the same way and does the same job. Regardless of whether you are using an ultrasonic cleaner with a tank or a portable ultrasonic cleaning machine such as Sonic Soak that requires a sink or bowl, the steps below will work for you.Step 1 – Prepare for the cleaning
The first step includes getting your ultrasonic jewelry cleaner out of storage and probably cleaning them up. Once this is done:
- Pour the required amount of water in the tank with water and add some safe ultrasonic cleaning solution for a much greater effect
- Plug the jewelry cleaner machine to the wall unit and switch it on, so it runs for about 10 minutes. This will help mix the water and solution well.
If you are using a model of ultrasonic cleaner that does not have a heater you can pour hot water. Also, in case you are using a Sonic Soak pour the water in a bowl and sink and follow the same process mentioned above.Step 2 - Put your jewelry inside the tank, sink, or bowl
After your ultrasonic jewelry cleaner has run for the number of minutes specified in the first step you can start placing your jewelry in the tank or sink to begin the cleaning phase. You have to be careful when taking this step. Do not overload the ultrasonic machine to avoid scratching and damaging the jewelry. Additionally, ensure not to bring the water to a boil while dropping your items in it.
Step 3 – Set the temperature you need and heat up the solution
Now that you have added the jewelry you want to clean let the solution heat up to make sure you get the best possible cleaning. The temperature and the running time you need depend on how dirty your items are. Most of the time, the running time of the ultrasonic jewelry cleaner machine varies from 1-minutes to 20-minutes. In short, let the machine run for as long as needed. Remember, what you need is for the water to be hot and not boil.
Step 4 – Switch off the ultrasonic jewelry cleaner machine
When the running time is reached, put the ultrasonic machine off and wait for dirt particles to fall to the bottom of the sink, bowl or tank. This can take between five to ten minutes. While you wait, you are also giving the hot solution time to cool to reduce the risk of getting hurt by hot water when removing the jewelry.
Step 5 – Remove the jewelry, brush off, and dry
Now the wait is over!
- Remove the cleaned jewelry from the solution. Use a soft polishing cloth or brush to go over the jewelry. This is to ensure that the jewelry is cleaned thoroughly and all the residual dirt left on the jewelry is removed.
- Once this is done, rinse the jewelry under a running tap to get rid of the brushed dirt and any detergent that might be left on the items.
- Make use of a soft dry cloth to dry the jewelry. Ensure the items are dry before you put the jewelry in a box.
Take note that these steps can be repeated if you are not satisfied with the result of the first cleaning process. Just ensure you change the previously used solution and use clean new water and solution.
How Many Times Can You Use The Ultrasonic Jewelry Cleaner Machine?
You can use the ultrasonic cleaner to clean your pieces of jewelry as many times as possible as long as it is safe for cleaning. Generally, washing and cleaning your items with ultrasonic jewelry cleaner should be done once in one or two weeks. But the frequency depends on how often and quickly your jewelry gets dirty. Does this make sense?
Also, how frequent you clean jewelry with ultrasonic machines is determined by how often you wear it and where you store them. If you are someone that uses jewelry every day, an individual that sweat a lot, or someone that works or go to where or contaminants can easily come in contact with your jewelry you might need to clean the jewelry more often.
Final Words and Advice
There you have the 5 best steps to clean jewelry by using jewelry cleaner machines. Following the step-by-step guide will ensure that you clean your jewelry at home without the help of a professional. Also, it will solve the most sensitive issues in cleaning jewelry. Owning an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner will help save your money as regular service from a professional can be costly.