Let’s face the truth, everyone has to do laundry and whether we like it or not we have to get it done. Unfortunately, most of us find laundry to be the least favorite of all house chores.
In fact, most people hate it because of sorting, washing, folding, and ironing clothes can be stressful and time-consuming. So, why do people hate laundry so much even though it is much easier than it was in the olden days? Maybe because it is a time-consuming task.
TABLE OF CONTENTS:
- What is a portable washing machine?
- How to use a portable washer?
- Benefits of portable washing machines
- Factors to consider when buying a portable washer
Basically, portable washing machines are clothes washing machines with small size. They are designed in a way that allows you to easily move them from a storage area to a bathroom or kitchen where you can hook them up to a sink for filling with water, draining water and start washing clothes. Even though portable washers are used where space can’t accommodate a full-sized machine, they work like a standard full-sized washing machine. They are available in two types; human-powered and electric-powered portable washing machines. Also, they can be categorized based on the loading door location and the in-built hookup connection for sink and water.
Types of Portable Washing Machines Available
- Top load – It is a traditional type of laundry machine allows you to put your laundry through an open door from the top. The laundry is done by a central agitator in the top load portable washer. However, these days, manufacturers of top load portable washers are now using pulsator instead of agitators. This makes the machine more energy efficient and leaves more space for you to put your laundries. Additionally, this kind of portable washing machines doesn’t usually come with glass covers. So you can’t keep an eye on your clothes while washing.
- Front load – This is a kind of portable washer that gives you the opportunity to put your laundries inside the machine through a door located at the front. Generally, front load washing machines need less water because the drum is horizontally positioned. Additionally, you can save energy using them, and they do not have a central agitator so you can load more items in them. Also, portable washers operate at a higher speed and are pricier than top load mini portable washing machines.
- Human-powered or pedal-powered – there are mini portable washing machines that do not require electricity to work. This kind of portable washers is powered by human and is most useful for travelers. The clothe spins as you pedal the machine. However, there are some that might not require you peddling them as such portable washing machines have an alternative that allows you to power it using electricity.
- Sonic soak – this is another type of mini portable washing machine that uses ultrasonic technology and works at a microscopic level to ensure your laundry is 99.9 percent clean. It is absolutely quiet and offers an ultra-gentle wash to your delicate clothes. If you are after saving enough energy while doing your laundry, this kind of portable washer might be a better option because it uses 15-times less energy and 40-times less water than standard washing machines. Additionally, the ultrasonic cleaner is built to last a lifetime as it is constructed with medical grade stainless steel. The most durable material a portable washer can be made of.
Additionally, some types of portable washers are divided based on the way water is loaded into them. Some mini portable washing machines can be loaded with water using buckets or some other containers. This can be called manual water filling. But there are others that get water supply through the faucet adapter in the bathroom or kitchen. This is known as sink water filling.
To use a portable washing machine, there are some things you need to do to keep yourself on the right path. You need to read the instruction manual of the portable washer, ensure your hands are dry before handling the plug of the portable washing machine and make sure everything is in place. Oh! Lest I forget, avoid using the portable washers to wash heavy items such as coats as they can be too bulky for the portable cleaning machine. Now that you have started on the right path, you can do your laundry and here are the steps to follow:
Load the portable washer with your laundry – the instruction manual of your machine should tell you how much clothing it can hold at once. You can separate your laundry by fabric type and color. Once you load the portable washing machine with your clothing, add a preferable detergent. It is advisable you use liquid detergent because they tend to work well with portable cleaning machines.
Hook the hose to a faucet in the bathroom or kitchen – this will allow you to fill the portable washer with water. Be careful which hose you screw to the faucet as some portable washers come with two holes. One to load water into the machine and the other to drain water from the washing machine.
Plug the machine in a wall unit and start washing your clothes – if you are using a portable cleaning machine with timer set how long you want your clothes to wash and this should be determined by how dirty your clothes are.
- Allow the dirty water to drain – after the wash cycle is complete drain the water by putting the drain hose in a sink. Once the water is drained, remove the clothes and rinse them. But if your portable washer has a rinse cycle, use it to rinse your clothes after draining the water and dry them.
This process works for all other types of portable washing machines except the Sonic Soak. How the portable ultrasonic cleaning machine is used is different.
- Fill a bowl, bucket or sink with water
- Plug the portable ultrasonic washer in a wall unit.
- Put your laundry, the sonic soak and maybe a recommended detergent which should be a liquid detergent inside the sink filled with water.
- Set the timer and switch on the portable washing machine.
- When the timer stops, unplug the sonic soak, remove it from the water, drain the water, remove your clothes, rinse them and dry them.
If you are wondering why portable washers can be a perfect option for a low budget person, an individual living in an apartment with a small space, and people who frequently travel below are the reasons.
- Setup is simple and easy – you don’t need to deal with washing hooks when using portable washers. You can easily set them up anywhere you have a sink in your house, either in the bathroom kitchen or balcony. Anytime you want to use the portable washing machine just attach the water hose to the faucet, put the drain hose in the sink and start washing your clothes.
- Convenience – Though portable washers vary in size, shapes, and colors, they are generally compact and small. Most of them come with convenient handles that allow you to carry the portable cleaning machines easily. You can easily move them around because of their lightweight — no extra plumbing. Just connect the portable washer to the faucet and drain the water into the sink. Take the Sonic Soak as an example. You can easily put the ultrasonic cleaner into your luggage and take them with you while traveling or to any destination. Isn’t it convenient?
- It is flexible – a portable washer offers different wash cycles that suit different levels of griminess, load sizes, and different kinds of textiles. Also, you can set the portable washing machine for different water levels depending on the amount of water that will be sufficient for the item you are washing. This ensures you don’t waste water while doing your laundry
Additionally, many mini portable washing machines come with high-quality features that can be found in standard washing machines. Also, there are lots of portable washers that deliver high-quality washing.
Looking at the benefits, does it mean portable washing machines don’t have a drawback? Of course, they have some disadvantages. The unarguable drawback is their low efficiency compared to full-sized washing machines. A portable washer is not a perfect option for a large family because it can’t accommodate lots of laundries at once.
If you check the market, you might be surprised to find out that there are tons of portable washers from different manufacturers on the market. This can make it daunting to pick the best mini washing machine for you. But relax! I will show you some key factors that can help you make the perfect selection of portable washing machine for your laundry and home.
- Construction – Who doesn’t want to invest in a portable washer that will last a lifetime? I guess no one, which is why you need to consider the material your mini washing machine is made of before going for one. The drum of a portable washing machine can either be made of stainless steel, porcelain-enamel, or plastic. Drums forged with porcelain-enamel might be the weakest of all when it comes to durability because they can rust and chip easily. Portable washers with plastic drums are more durable than them. However, drums constructed of stainless steel can withstand high spin speeds and are the most durable. In short, they are the best when it comes to durability.
- Size – the capacity of the portable washer’s tub or drum is one of the important factors you need to consider. This should depend on how much laundry you will wash frequently. Generally, the weight of portable washing machines varies from 2kg to 18kg, and their size is around 1.6 cubic feet. Also, the tub capacity of portable washers can range from 6lbs to about 16lbs. Take note that there are some mini washers with two tubs one serve as the washer and the other works as the dryer. So, pick the size that will work for your laundry. Also, the size you go for will influence the amount of water you will use per load.
- Controls and functionality – the controls of portable washers can be digital soft-to-touch buttons with LED displays or manual controls which uses knobs. For convenience, portable washing machines with soft-to-touch buttons are preferable. You can also consider some additional functions LED time pointer, end-of-cycle signal, good temperature controls, delay start functions, energy efficiency and more. However, what works for others. might not work for you, so you can go for the one that suits your preference.
- Operation – some portable washing machines come with a variety of wash cycles, and there are some that come with one or two. If you are using the portable washers frequently at home, you can go for the ones with a greater number of spin cycle. This will allow you to set the spin cycle that suits the type of clothe you are washing and extend the laundry’s life. For thicker clothes, the spin cycle should be up to 1,000 revolutions per minutes (rpm) and between 300rpm to 500rpm for delicate clothes.
- Design – a mini washer with rolling wheels at the bottom, handles on each side, and noise reduction plate, can be a perfect option to go for. The portable washer wheels and handles will make it easy for you to move from one place to the other. Also, the noise reduction plates will alleviate the noise coming from the portable wash.
- Budget – No doubt, the price of most portable washers on the market are below the cost of standard washing machines. However, the price can vary from $40 to $300 depending on construction, design, size, functionality, controls, and other added features.
What do you think about the world of a portable washing machine? Aren’t they a real lifesaver? If you have a small space in your house, they can be a perfect substitute for standard washing machines. If you are on a budget portable washers can be a good buy. Also, if you travel a lot, they can be a great companion for doing laundries especially the Sonic Soak. When making a purchase, utilize the information provided in this complete guide about the compact portable washing machine, and you won’t go wrong.